Sometimes, plain chicken dishes can get boring quickly, especially if you are only eating fried chicken, or perhaps other common recipes varieties. If you want to spice up your chicken with interesting recipes, we got you covered. In this article, we will provide you with recipes on how to cook various caramel chicken dishes. Meanwhile, if you are interested in other Vietnamese caramel chicken recipes, you can visit https://bayevskitchen.com/vietnamese-caramel-chicken/. Without further ado, let’s start:
Vietnamese Coconut Caramel Chicken
This caramel chicken recipe has a preparation time of 5 minutes, and can take as long as 55 minutes to make. Before getting started, make sure that you gather the following ingredients:
What you’ll need
- Chicken thighs, large or small
- Low fat coconut milk
- Brown sugar
- Minced garlic cloves
- Sliced eschalot or French onion
- Black or white pepper
- Optional ingredients for garnishing
- Sliced green onion or scallion
- Sliced red chili
Step by step guide
Once you have all of the ingredients, follow the steps below for the actual cooking.
- Mix water and sugar on a skillet or deep frying fan.
- Set the stove on medium heat and stir while it is heating.
- Once the sugar has melted and the mixture is bubbling, put in all of the remaining ingredients, except of course for the chicken.
- Place the chicken next, with the skin facing upside down.
- Keep a look at the heat. Make sure that it is simmering properly. Set a timer for 25 minutes, turn the chicken after the timer.
- The fat should be visible now as a pale brown oil, assuming you did things correctly.
- Turn the chicken as necessary to make sure all sides are properly cooked.
- Turn off the stove or remove the pan from the stove after the sauce and the chicken skin is a brownish color.
- Serve the chicken with the sauce and rice. Use the optional sliced chili or green onions as garnishing.
Spicy Caramel Chicken
If you want a spicy twist to the regular caramel chicken recipe, be sure to check this out. Here are the ingredients:
Things you’ll need
- Boneless or skinless chicken thighs
- Fresh ginger
- Minced garlic
- Light brown sugar
- Fish sauce
- Rice vinegar
- Hot pepper sauce
- Jalapeno peppers
- Bell peppers
- Soy sauce
- Vegetable oil
- Roasted peanuts
- Fresh cilantro leaves
Optional ingredients for garnishing
Step by step guide
- Start with the sauce by properly mixing the grated ginger, garlic, rice vinegar, brown sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, and hot sauce in one bowl.
- Using a separate bowl, mix chicken chunks and the sauce prepared above. Thoroughly mix the chicken chunks and the sauce so that all surface is covered.
- Make sure to not use all of the sauce as coating, as you will need it later. Once you are done, let the sauce and chicken chunks absorb for approximately 15 minutes.
- Preheat vegetable oil by using a deep skillet. Once the oil begins smoking, fry the chicken chunks. Stir from time to time, until the pieces starts transforming into a deep brown color. This should happen in 8 to minutes after cooking the chicken.
- After 8 to 10 minutes, turn the heat down. Place the red pepper, peanut, green onions, and jalapeno into the skillet. Stir for a minute.
- Put the rest of the sauce you saved earlier in the pot, then let it simmer for another 1 to minutes.
- Turn off the stove, or take away the pot from the stove.
- Your spicy caramel chicken is now ready to serve with rice or optional toppings.