Mold has been showing up in random spots of my house for several months now. It’s a green dust-like mold. It’s appeared in all of my downstairs rooms, which are very spaced apart – on the baseboards, on my shoes, on the surface of the wood floor, on window seals, on blinds, on electronics, and various other surfaces. I’ve only lived in my home for about one year, and know of no water damage that would have caused this.
A mold inspector came out yesterday to survey my home for the source. He tested the humidity and the moisture around the areas where the mold was showing up. He said the humidity in my home is actually below normal, and he could find no high contents of moisture. He could not find the source or offer an explanation for the mold. He did give me a referal to a company that tests mold samples – if I get the sample from a mold inspection company, myself and drive it to their facility, he told me the cost will start around $1,000.00 – and that’s just to tell me what kind of mold it is. It will cost significantly more for them to try to find the source. My insurance company does not cover any type of mold inspection or damage.
I’m at a loss now. The inspector said because he didn’t “smell” mold damage or see too much (even though I told him that was because I clean it up on a regular basis), I shouldn’t be too concerned. However, I am constantly cleaning up these spots. I’ve had to throw away many clothing items that have been ruined by it. One of my roommates has a one year old son that I’m concerned about, and my other roommate has severe allergies to dust and mold.
I guess my question is – what would you do? I’m especially interested in answers from people who have mold knowledge and can offer some educated insight. I’ve recently had many other costly financial surprises, and it will be difficult to scrap up funds for this.